Commercials have different techniques in advertising. They exhibit actions, phrases and illustrations that could be serious, dramatic or humorous, as long as it is known to a focused group of audience. As a certain group of audience is targeted, some would feel satisfied with the commercial but some would also be offended.
I think that this ad is highly offensive to others but at the same time it is not bad at all. This ad is offensive as they purposely showed how people would judge a human being. The difference between the car does not really make the person look more appealing. They use this kind of stereotype in order to convey the message that objects like the car would make a contradiction in judging a human being.
Although the ad is offensive, I also thought that this isn’t a bad idea. People advertise in various ways. They use different kinds of techniques in order for their product to be appealing. Sometimes, offending something and someone is used to advertised to get more attention. They advertise a product not to show that it is good but to prove that the product is efficient for a specific group of audience. Just like in the commercial, they used two similar yet different photos. They made the other less appealing than the one they are promoting to persuade the people in the audience with questions that would let them choose the photo with the one their promoting. Since the people who made their judgements aren’t actors, it’s easier to influence the targeted group of audience as they would believe buying this type of car would really make them more appealing in front of people. I do not consider this commercial as a bad idea as they use different ways in catching people’s attention.
Just like the photo below:
They used a skinny model to go with their skinny can that they are advertising. There is a weight-based discrimination in this photo as they are conveying that skinny models would suit in the photo. Since it has 0% of sugar, it is just appropriate to advertise with skinny models to prove that drinking “the new skinny can” would let your weight stay the same. Stereotypes in an advertisement could draw more attention to the audiences.

While reading your blog about advertisements and stereotypes, I admit that I do agree with what you have stated throughout your whole post. Something that I did enjoy about as I was reading this blog post was the statement that you have included in the beginning where you describe what a commercial is and you went in depth of about what the purpose of a commercial is for. However, in your second and paragraphs, you stated that this advertisement is highly offensive to some people but it is not to others. Once again, I do agree with why this commercial isn't quite pleasant however as I read the reasons to why you say that this advertisement is not as bad as you claim it isn't, I see this as something controversial. It is understandable that people would advertise in many different ways and they use different techniques and methods to do so but in the end, don't the writers of a specific commercial purposely add in stereotypes? To end this all off, overall I did enjoy reading your thoughts about commercials and stereotypes. Well done! (-:
ReplyDelete